Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Trying new foods...

Mom and Dad- if you're reading this, you should be proud of me. I tried new food today. I didn't really like it, but I ate it. And that's something, right? For lunch, Teresa made some sort of pea soup with a sausage in it. I ate a lot of it to be polite, and I'll admit it wasn't terrible, but I don't really want it again. Also, she made empanadas (I think that's what she said they were) which were fried dough filled with tomatoes and....tuna. It would have been delicious if she had filled them with beef instead of tuna, but oh well. She said tomorrow will be something new as well, so we shall see...at least it's something different than chicken!

Also, I have other observations you all might be interested in.
1. Pretty much the only music they listen to over here is American. Whenever there's music playing, whether it is in cars, stores, or blasting through speakers, it's from the United States. I've heard a lot of Rhianna and Katy Perry here. And also Sweet Home Alabama.
2. When you're crossing a street (and everyone jaywalks) the signal to cross is a little green man that actually moves, instead of the one that's just standing there in the US.
3. Apparently the Spanish girls think it's a good fashion to wear see through shirts that display their bras. I'm not a fan of that look, though.
4. I eat slow. I always thought I'm a fast eater, but all the Spaniards finish before I do. However, it could be because I investigate my food thoroughly before eating it.

Classes today were good! In my great spanish painters class, we learned about 10th century spanish works. It was actually really interesting, but I have to admit the 2.5 hour classes often lose my attention a bit. Afterwards, some of my friends and I went to the cafeteria to get coffee on the break. SUCH A GOOD IDEA. I was actually awake for the entirety of my next class, and could focus more. At the cafeteria, you first choose what you want at a machine, where you also pay, and then take the ticket it gives you to the bar, where the workers will get your order. It took us a while to figure it out, though.

And my presentation in my traditions of Spain class went well! At least, she told me it did. We'll see what grade I get. I think I'm actually at a higher level than most of the other students. It was actually a bit painful listening to some presentations. Not like I'm great at Spanish; I'm really not. But I at least know general grammar and vocabulary.

In an hour, I'm meeting some people to go explore Alcala a bit. Hopefully we'll find some interesting places!

1 comment:

  1. I love that your host mother's name is Teresa too! :)

    I would die in Spain if all you eat is meat (I could probably choke down chicken and maybe beef if I had to to be polite, but if my only only choices were tuna and pork, I would eat my napkin.)

    "1. Pretty much the only music they listen to over here is American. Whenever there's music playing, whether it is in cars, stores, or blasting through speakers, it's from the United States. I've heard a lot of Rhianna and Katy Perry here. And also Sweet Home Alabama."

    I am soooo happy you addressed this!!! I always wonder with America being such an entertainment hub how European countries get their media. I assume it's translated to Spanish (how bad do they butcher it lol?)? Lol "Sweet Home Alabama" in Spain!

    ReplyDelete